If you take any kind of medicine – from aspirin to Zoloft - keep it away from your pets! Because human meds can be deadly for dogs and cats. 

According to the Animal Poison Control Center, 3 out of the top 5 causes of pet poisonings are human meds. And the severity of the poisoning can vary. 

Veterinarian Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald says that ADHD meds, like Adderall, trigger seizures. Anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can cause kidney failure. And just one Tylenol or aspirin can kill a cat. They can’t break down the chemicals, so they overdose. And that’s true for all cats, you’re your tabby cat to a tiger.

Most poisonings occur when a dog snags a pill that falls on the floor, or when they grab a bottle off a counter or nightstand for a chew-toy. But an increasing number of meds attract attention because they smell good. Even when the bottle’s tightly closed, like sweet chewable tablets, or joint supplements made from beef cartilage or shellfish. 

Cats are a little pickier about what they eat. They do seem to love the flavor of some meds, like the antidepressant Effexor. But over half of feline poisonings happen when a cat walks through insecticides, cleaners or antifreeze. 

And then they ingests the chemicals when they lick their paws. 

So, what should you do if your pet eats your medicine? The experts say don’t waste valuable time researching treatments on the Internet. Instead, have a pet poison hotline on speed dial, so you can call while packing up your pet to take to the vet. Go to PetPoisonHelpline.com to find a number for the US and Canada. 

And pet-proof your house by keeping all meds in a secure place. And take your pills when your pet’s not underfoot, waiting to eat whatever you drop.