If you wear drug-delivery patches on your skin, like quit-smoking nicotine patches, or timed-release pain patches – and you’re around children - be extremely careful.

A rising number of kids are being accidentally poisoned by lost or discarded patches!

One 8-month-old boy we read about overdosed on his grandmother’s Fentanyl patch – a high-powered pain med that’s extremely hazardous to children, and he nearly died before ER doctors discovered the patch stuck to the roof of his mouth. And other kids are picking up patches discarded in trashcans, opening new stickers so they can be “just like mom,” or getting patches transferred to them after a hug from grandpa. This raises their risk of accidental overdose from 60 different kinds of drugs, including painkillers, nitroglycerin, nicotine and motion-sickness meds. Even used patches have enough drugs left over to be dangerous to kids, and many of them can kill.

So, what’s the fix on this? Used patches should always be folded, sticky sides together, and flushed down the toilet. And always check your skin after you shower, change clothes, or hug a child to make sure your patch is still there.