But the way we eat pizza is changing. Here are the "next big things" in pizza, according to the Chicago Sun-Times:
- First, there's the Pizza Beacon. A miniature pizza box with bright flashing lights. And when you order a pie, you simply flip a switch, and attach the Pizza Beacon to your door. It blinks brightly, so the delivery guy can find your address in the dark before your pizza gets cold.
- Then there's is dessert pizza. It's regular dough, stuffed with sweet cherry or apple filling, then baked and drizzled with frosting. Kinda like a streudel.
- And soon you'll be able to get a pizza menu downloaded on your cell phone screen. You'll simply press 1 for cheese, 2 for pepperoni, and 3 to charge it to your credit card.
And here are some cool pizza facts: 93 percent of Americans eat at least 1 pizza a month. The average person in America eats 46 slices of pizza a year! And kids ages 3 to 11 prefer pizza over all other food options, for lunch and dinner! So, what are the most common pizza toppings? According to Pizza Ware .com, the top 5 in North America are: extra cheese, pepperoni, bacon, pineapple and mushrooms. And here are some of the more, how should I say, unusual pizza toppings folks across the world prefer:
- In Japan, the favorite pizza toppings are squid, and a combo of mayonnaise, potato and bacon
- Over in England, it's tuna and corn. No, I am not making this up!
- In the Netherlands, "Double Dutch" is pizza with double cheese, double onions and double beef.
- In India, they love their pickled ginger pizza
- In Brazil, they go nuts for green pea pizza. In Colombia, it's guava pizza. And in Guatemala, their favorite topping is black bean sauce.