Would you like to be a weight-loss winner? Then Dr. Phil McGraw is your man. He's worked with weight loss patients for 30 years. People with unique challenges, who tried different approaches. But no matter what their individual struggles were, all the successful dieters adopted core ideas that kept them solidly on the weight loss path. Here are the ideas that are proven to work:
- First, know this: food is the most powerful addiction in the world. You can't stop eating, unlike when you quit alcohol or drugs. You need food to live. Dr. Phil also says we're constantly being programmed by fast-food ads. With all those people laughing and holding burgers. But you hardly ever see anyone eating in commercials. Because it's not fun to watch someone chew up dead animals. The commercials make us think to be accepted we have to eat that food. Forget it! Don't be brainwashed!
- Be a weight-loss winner by restocking your cupboards. Unsuccessful dieters think that tossing the junk food is enough. But when you're starving and there's nothing handy to eat, you'll just end up making an "emergency" hamburger run. Instead, fill your kitchen with healthier food to avoid those midnight snack runs.
- Also, be prepared. Figure out when you overeat or crave junk food. If you grab a donut and cocoa every morning at work, that can add up to 30 pounds a year, even if you eat spinach the rest of the day. So, plan around your daily cravings. Take a 10 minute walk at 10:00 a.m. when the donuts are served.
- Also, remember: Nobody ever lost big without breaking a sweat. Period.
- Finally, the best motivation for weight loss is your own happiness. If you're losing weight to please someone else, you'll hate it, and may even start hating them. You need to get to the point where you can say: "I'm doing this for me." Because if you're losing weight for yourself, you'll be much more likely to stick with it.
If you'd like to go further, check out the book: The Ultimate Weight Solution by Dr. Phil McGraw.