Would you like to live longer? Then maybe it’s time to try the “immortality diet.” Here’s what to eat for a perfect, heart-healthy day. These tips were compiled by David Katz, professor at the Yale University School of Medicine, and author of "The Way to Eat":
- Your perfect day starts at 7 a.m., with oatmeal and fruit, along with flaxseed and almonds. Which helps scour your arteries clean of cholesterol, and keeps you from gaining weight.
- At 8:15, eat an apple. It’s full of heart-protecting chemicals and pectin, which makes you feel full, longer.
- At 10 o’clock, grab a handful of almonds or trail mix to boost your energy.
- Then, lunch on the immortality diet should be bean soup and a salad. The beans provide high-quality protein and salad with a low-fat dressing adds vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Your 3 o’clock snack should be a chocolate bar. Not milk chocolate! You’ll want the dark kind, with a cocoa content of at least 70 percent, and tons of antioxidants.
- 7:30 dinner should include salad with olive oil, plus grilled fish, vegetables and wine. That’s a meal packed with antioxidants and heart-healthy oils.
- Your 10:30 before-bedtime snack should be a banana and a small glass of skim milk. The calcium and potassium will lower your blood pressure. And the melatonin will help you fall sleep.
Check out the book: The Way To Eat.