If your last relationship ended in heartbreak – you know it can take a long time to get past the hurt. So, how do you know when it’s time to start dating again? Here are a few signs that you’re ready to move on:
- First, somebody mentions your ex’s name, and you don’t feel like screaming, crying, or eating a huge bowl of Haagen-Dazs with hot fudge. Dating and relationship expert Kyra Lennon says that when strong emotional reactions to your ex fade – or disappear completely – it’s a big clue that you’re ready to move on.
- Another clue that you’re ready to start dating again: You stop imagining a “magical” reunion with your ex. That marvelous moment where they grovel, say they still love you, and insist you belong together, forever. Experts say that “reconciliation fantasies” actually make you feel worse,because you’re literally stuck trying to rewrite ancient history.
- Another hint that you’re back to your pre-breakup self: You start laughing again. After all, when you’re heartbroken, nothing is funny. As you move past the pain, Lennon says you’ll start to see the humor in little things again.
- Another hint that you’re ready to move on: You start looking for potential date material. Just remember: It doesn’t count if you’re looking – but still comparing everyone to your ex.
- The final hint you’re ready to start dating after a broken heart: You delete your ex’s number from your phone. It may sound silly – especially because you probably have their phone number memorized. It’s more of a symbolic gesture that you’re ready to remove them from your life. It’ll also keep you from being reminded of your past – and being tempted to call or text them.