Regarding fathers, Margaret Truman wrote: "It's only when you grow up and step back from him or leave him for your own career and your own home; it's only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it." So, what are you doing to show your dad you love him this holiday season? Dads can be hard to shop for so here are the gift buying rules from Rodale Publications:
- Do not buy him socks, ties, slippers or a bathrobe. No matter how many you see displayed at the mall, resist. It's like buying your wife a blender for Mother's Day.
- Here are the two fool-proof father's day gifts: a cordless drill or a label maker.
- If you have a lot of money buy dad a new TV, a big screen or a flat screen. If you have little money, buy him a new remote control. He'll love it.
- Don't buy your father a fancy liqueur unless he's Puff Daddy. It'll just sit on a shelf for years.
- Do not buy him an industrial sized can of aftershave or deodorant. That's implying that he stinks.
- Sports tickets are always a good bet. When in doubt go to NAPA Auto Parts, Sears, Home Depot, John Deere, or Radio Shack.