Here are some new and unusual superfoods thatíll help you look and feel better:
- #1: Kefir. Nutritionist Tamara Freuman says the fermented milk product has more protein and less sugar than yogurt. Plus, itís loaded with healthy bacteria that boost your immune system and protect against colon cancer. But know this: Because kefir is a fermented product, it does contain small amounts of alcohol, so, itís not for kids.
- The next superfood: Chia. Yep. The little seeds that made the chia pet possible are good for you. One tablespoon has as much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal. And thereís an added bonus: Chia is a good source of iron, calcium, and heart-healthy omega-3s.
- The 3rd superfood is easy to grow at home: Sprouts. Kate Geagan is the author of Go Green, Get Lean, and she says broccoli sprouts contain 50 times more anti-cancer agents than fully-grown broccoli.
- Then thereís Black Garlic. Registered dietician Janet Helm says itís regular garlic cured for 6 weeks at low temperatures, a process that doubles the natural antioxidants of a raw bulb, and removes the compounds that cause garlic breath.
- #5: Barley. According to a study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, barley is packed with cancer fighting compounds. It also contains a lot of soluble fiber, which helps control blood sugar while reducing your risk of heart disease.
- And the last superfood is especially important for vegetarians: Nutritional yeast, which experts say is a low-calorie, highly-nutritious alternative for animal-based protein. One ounce contains 14 grams of protein and only 79 calories, and you can sprinkle it on pasta or popcorn instead of Parmesan cheese.