Here’s the low down from Woman’s World magazine:
- If you want to protect your heart - eat chocolate! According to cardiologist Michael Ozner, the flavanols in cocoa relax your blood vessels, improve blood flow to the heart, and decrease bad cholesterol. Another plus for chocolate: it contains antibacterial compounds that may actually prevent tooth decay! To get the results without packing on the pounds, limit yourself to a third of a chocolate bar a day.
- Need to sleep more soundly? Try cherry pie. Why? Montmorency cherries – the kind baked in pies – are full of the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin. And just one slice – or about 10 cherries - will do the job.
- If you want to relax, eat ice cream. Registered dietician Kathy Williamson says that the smooth texture of ice cream on your tongue triggers relaxing brain chemicals. And you start to feel calmer after the very first bite.
- Apple pie fights diabetes! Why? Because the cinnamon that’s in it causes your blood sugar levels to plummet. Studies show that just a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon a day may keep you from getting diabetes – ever! And apples are packed with antioxidants and fiber.
- Eat strawberry shortcake to prevent cancer. In a recent study, volunteers who ate the most strawberries were 3 times less likely to develop cancer than people eating no strawberries at all. Why? They’re full of antioxidants and vitamin C, plus a chemical that has been proven to inhibit the growth of cancer cells!
To recap, here’s how to use your sweet tooth to improve your health: Fight heart disease with a little chocolate, sleep better by eating cherry pie, prevent diabetes with apple pie, eat strawberries to prevent cancer, and spoon up some ice cream to help you relax.