You canít control your age, but you can control how quickly your body looks its age! In fact, hereís a list of health habits that can actually slow down the aging process, and keep you looking younger than you really are, according to the experts:
- First: Stay active. Jennifer Burke is a personal trainer who says inactivity can take up to 20 years off your lifespan, because when you donít consistently exercise, your heart has to work harder to pump blood. And as it becomes less efficient, your organs will begin to fall apart.
- The 2nd way to stay looking young: Lift weights. Burke says nothing makes you look ďoldĒ more than a crooked spine! But resistance training helps build strength in the muscles that support your spine, and research shows that can counteract hunching, and add 10 years to your lifespan.
- Youíll also look younger if you: Use sunscreen. Rebecca Fitzgerald is a dermatologist who says skin damage from sun exposure can age your face up to 10 years. Thatís why she recommends using sunscreen every day, especially brands with zinc oxide, which protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Also: Avoid yo-yo dieting. Nutrition experts say chronic dieters tend to look at least 5 years older than they really are. Thatís because dieting deprives your body of important nutrients, which effects your overall skin tone, and can loosen skin by the jowl area.
- One more way to stay looking young: See the dentist. Dr. Alan Zweig is a dentist who says thereís a reason people who donít take care of their teeth look older than they really are. Because as you age, the ridges in teeth wear down, and tiny surface cracks appear, which pick up stains from food, soda, and coffee. The result? Yellowing, crooked teeth that can easily add decades to your look.