You may think you’re doing everything right – but if you still can’t manage to lose weight, these 5 foods may be keeping you fat. Here’s the shortlist of diet busters from Woman’s World magazine and registered dietician Elizabeth Somer, author of “10 Habits That Mess Up A Diet”:
- Reduced fat peanut butter. You may think you’re doing yourself a favor by reducing the fat – but when the manufacturers take it out, they add in extra sugar. The result: The same number of calories! And even worse, because there’s less real fat to satisfy you, you end up eating more. So if you really want to do yourself a favor get natural peanut butter instead.
- Instant oatmeal. Again, the problem is the added sugar. Plain oatmeal is an excellent source of fiber, but the flavored versions typically pack twice the calories.
- Coffee creamer. You may think, “But it’s such a small amount!” True – it is a small amount but there are 80 calories for every two tablespoons!
- Instant potatoes. Stick with a real baked potato and eat the skin. Manufacturers often blend dehydrated potatoes with fat to improve the product’s texture once it’s cooked. So even a tiny serving of instant potatoes can hide as much as 200 calories. But you can have a whole baked potato for 50 fewer calories, tons of protein, tons of fiber and 2-tenths of a gram of fat.
- Diet soda. We’ve talked about this before. But even one diet drink a day increases your risk of becoming overweight by 65%! Why? Because diet drinks are sweet – so your body expects calories. But then when it doesn’t get any, your body craves something that does have calories so you end up eating more to compensate. Instead, drink ice tea.
Let’s review: The 5 foods that are making you fat. Reduced fat peanut butter, instant oatmeal, coffee creamer, instant potatoes, and diet soda.