Want to lose weight? Spice up your life! Here are the five spices you may already have at home that can help you win the battle of the bulge. This comes from Yahoo Health:
- Cinnamon. A study found that just one teaspoon of cinnamon a day can fight weight by reducing blood sugar, and breaking down carbohydrates. It can also help lower your total cholesterol by 26 percent. Cinnamon has been shown to prevent the insulin resistance common in diabetics, but don’t overdo it! Ingesting large amounts of cinnamon can lead to liver damage. So, stick to no more than a teaspoon a day.
- Another fat-fighting spice: Cayenne pepper. Its main ingredient is capsaicin, which helps produce body heat that burns fat and calories – a process called “fat oxidation.” Dr. Nicholas Perricone wrote “The Perricone Weight-Loss Diet,” and he says capsaicin acts like an appetite suppressant.
- Freshly-ground black pepper. It has dozens of health benefits – like improving digestion, and helping your body absorb nutrients. The chemicals in black pepper can also help your body metabolize fat 8 percent faster, even hours after you eat it.
- Mustard also helps you stay trim – especially spicy mustard. Scientists at Oxford Polytechnic Institute found that consuming one teaspoon of hot mustard can boost your metabolism by 25 percent for several hours. That means if you have a 700-calorie meal, you’ll burn an additional 45 calories by adding spicy mustard to the mix.
- Finally, ginger can help you keep weight off. Why? Because it acts like a diuretic, increasing your output of urine. Ginger also speed up your digestion, slows cholesterol buildup, and helps you burn more calories.