Or should know. These tidbits separate the suave and sophisticated from the slob with the pizza stains on his shirt. So here’s what going to turn you – into gentlemen, courtesy of Rodale Publishing. A gentleman knows.
- To match his socks to the hue of his trousers. And the color of his belt to his shoes.
- A gentleman knows which is the correct bread plate. Think cars – remember BMW – from left to right, bread plate, meal, water glass. BMW.
- A gentleman knows wasabi etiquette when out for a sushi dinner. It is not to be mashed into your soy sauce. Instead, apply a bit of wasabi directly to the sushi. Then dip the fish – never the rice – into the soy sauce. Then the whole piece of sushi goes into your mouth. Fish side toward the tongue. Do not bite it in half.
- A gentleman knows how to give a compliment: It should be brief, sincere, and original. Forget commonplace flattery – “You look nice in that dress.” The compliment should bloom in the ear of its recipient. “That dress makes me proud that I’m the man you choose to be with.”
- One last thing that a gentleman knows: The 4 things that will instantly improve your relationship. They are: Number one – Turn off the game. Number two – listen to her. Number three – Repeat what she said so she knows you’re listening. And number four – tell her what she said makes sense. You are now the perfect gentleman.