Stay Productive After Work
No matter what you’d like to accomplish in your spare time, we’ll tell you how to keep your momentum up - even after you’re done with your workday.Playlist
Having a day job can really crush your creativity. Whether you’re working on a novel in your spare time, or trying to start a side business, here are the top 5 ways to stay productive after work:
- Practice the rule of 10. Steven King is one of the world’s most prolific writers. And his advice to wannabe writers is simple: write at least 10-pages a day. If that seems daunting, turn your 10 pages into 10 minutes. For most people, getting started is the hard part. But once you get going, you might find you can work happily for hours.
- Start the minute you get home. If you stop to make dinner or take a break on the couch, you may never get going again. So, do your 10 minutes as soon as you walk in the door.
- Don’t go home. If you just can’t resist the call of your sofa, try something else. Work on your own project after hours at the office. Or you can hit the library, or even a coffee shop.
- Exercise. Super mogul Richard Branson says his workouts give him the energy for 4 hours of extra productivity a day.
- Try doing it before work. MRI imaging shows that some people’s brains function more efficiently in the morning. Plus, you’ll arrive at work less stressed, because you’ll feel like you’ve already accomplished something.