William Dement said "Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."
- Basic need. Dreaming is a way of thinking without the filter. Because of this, our dreams often show us things we literally need.
- Rehearsal. In our dreams, we often test out different solutions to our problems. It's a great place to practice new behaviors without second-guessing ourselves.
- Personality insight. Over time, we become too attached to some of our personality traits and forget about others. Dreams allow is to get back in touch with our "whole self."
So on that note, here's a quick guide to figuring out what your dream means--
- Look for literal meaning.
- Write down the emotions you felt in your dream. Does it match something you're going through?
- Examine people, places and things in your dream and decide what they remind you of.
- And finally, look for puns. For example, if you dream about a room full of snakes and you're afraid to put your foot down on the ground, figure out what you're afraid to "put your foot down" about in real life.