Could Your Kid’s Pacifier Make Them Sick?
Find out why experts say your baby’s “binkie” could be exposing them to high levels of dangerous germs, like mold, staph, and even MRSA!Playlist
Parents, don’t give your baby another “binkie” until you read this. Because according to a new study, most pacifiers expose babies to high levels of dangerous germs – including mold, staph, and the “superbug” MRSA! And every time you pop a contaminated pacifier in a baby’s mouth, you’re spreading microbes that raise their risk of everything from ear infections and pneumonia, to asthma and heart disease!
Since when are pacifiers so dangerous? Dr. Tom Glass is a germ expert who says it’s always been that way. Because if you look at a pacifier under a microscope, you’ll see that it’s full of tiny pores – like a sponge – which are ideal for soaking up saliva and bacteria! Dr. Glass says the result is that when pacifiers become contaminated, they immediately begin growing a sticky layer of bacteria, known as “biofilm,” that becomes harder and harder to wash off. That’s a big deal when you consider that 85% of babies use pacifiers.
Dr. Glass says the problem is that most parents think nothing of grabbing a pacifier off a seat tray – or the floor - and sticking it back in a baby’s mouth. But know this: A child’s immune system isn’t fully developed until age 12. So, any exposure to germs from a pacifier is especially dangerous for babies.
That’s why Dr. Glass says parents need to do a better job of keeping pacifiers clean! That means washing them with dish soap and water before popping them in your baby’s mouth. And then re-washing pacifiers every time they fall out – even if it’s just for a few seconds. He also recommends replacing pacifiers every 2 weeks, or sooner if your baby’s been sick recently.