- Tip #1: Don't freak out when your kid opens up. In other words, practice a calm response for when your 12-year-old says she has a boyfriend. If you snap, "You're not allowed to date!" she may never talk to you about boys again. Instead, try asking what he's like, and discuss what it means to have a boyfriend.
- Tip #2: Don't take it personally when they say "I hate you!" You kids don't really hate you. They hate that they can't be as grown up as they want to be at that very moment. Remember, the terrible 12s are just as common and natural as the terrible twos. They're just not as cute.
- And Tip #3: Don't belittle what they're going through. To you, it may be "just a crush" or "just an invite to a birthday party", But to your child, it's huge. In their eyes, it could make or break them. Now, here's some advice for the "tweens":
- Tip #1: Choose your friends carefully. Pick people who make you feel good and help you be a better person. If a "friend" constantly makes you feel bad, why hang out with them?
- Tip #2: Geeks win in the end. In other words, being popular in middle school doesn't guarantee a better life, later. The book's author notes that the most interesting adults at her middle school reunion were those who used to be geeky.
- And finally, Tip #3: Give you parents more credit. Don't assume they can't handle it if you tell them about something that's bugging you. In fact, they probably experienced something similar to what you're going through. And contrary to what you might think, they're only trying to love you, protect you and raise you to the best of their ability.
It breaks traditional logic, but research shows that couples who spend time apart can actually improve their relationships. Do you agree?Read More
Parents, if you're noticing a change in your kid's behavior? It may be time to examine how their entertaining themselves in their free time.Read More
Tired of dating jerks, players and flakes? We’ll tell you why your bad habits could be to blame and how to turn your love life around.Read More
We’ll tell you which arguments can make you and your partner happier in the long run and the right way to handle them.Read More
It’s a struggle for many parents – the kids won’t go to bed or they won’t go to sleep. Let us help you make sure those little ones are catching their zzzz’s.Read More
When you’re about to something nerve-wracking, there’s one thing you should do beforehand in order to keep your cool.Read More
It’s hard enough for adults to wrap their heads around tragedies like the recent Boston Marathon bombing and the events afterwards - but what about kids?Read More
We’ll tell you why you might want to take time to consider the answer when someone asks you: “Does this outfit make me look fat?”Read More
Find out why parents are struggling over the decision and what experts say all that technology does to children’s brains.Read More
Experts say it takes less than 5 seconds to make a first impression. Find out what your date is evaluating about you in the first 20 minutes!