5 Reasons To Take A Coffee Break
Need another reason to take a coffee break? Here are FIVE.Playlist
Need another reason to take a coffee break? How about five.
- First: A recent study found that coffee drinkers suffer from less pain. Thatís because caffeine blocks the pain receptors in the brain and spinal chord. And the Journal Of Pain says caffeine may work better than aspirin or ibuprofen for muscle pain from a workout Ė or joint pain from repetitive motion. So try drinking a cup of coffee an hour before a workout. Youíll increase your endurance because you wonít feel as much pain.
- Coffee also reduces your risk for diabetes. UCLA researchers found that drinking 4 cups of coffee a day raises levels of a hormone called S-H-B-G thatís associated with lower insulin resistance, which makes you less likely to suffer from sugar spikes.
- Next: Coffee wards off depression. Psychiatrist Dr. Judith Orloff says that caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and acts like an antidepressant by elevating levels of the mood-boosting hormones serotonin anddopamine.
- Another reason to drink more coffee: It helps protect against dementia and memory problems. A study in the Journal of Alzheimerís Disease found that coffee increases production of a growth hormone that helps create new neurons in the brain. And the magic number is: 3 cups a day.
- Finally Ė and most importantly: Cancer and coffee donít mix. Harvard University researchers found that the antioxidants and other compounds in coffee reduce the risk of prostate cancer. And something called caffeic acid suppresses the growth of colon cancer. Coffee has also been linked to lower rates of oral, liver, and skin cancers.
Why not head down to the break room or neighborhood coffee shop, get some caffeine, and improve your health?